Thursday, January 8, 2015

I'm Back!

After a Long hiatus from blogging, I'm back and will Dare to do better this year.  Here's what's new:

Word of the Year:  I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions and didn't before it was cool.  (Me a trend setter?  Ha.)  When I did make resolutions I'd either forget them within a week, or put so much pressure on myself that they became another stressor.  No more.  So in 2014 I chose a word for the year, to guide my journey, so to speak.  The word is Grow.  I exhibited at more shows in 2014, learned new techniques, and developed more confidence in my work.  I did grow in 2014, but mainly in bead inventory and clothing size.  Oops.

In 2015 the word is Dare.  I will Dare to step out of my craft show comfort zone to find And create a better way to market and sell my jewelry.  I will Dare to get control of my bead hoarding habit (somehow.)  What does this mean?  I will create and promote a business Facebook page (too bad Facebook made it harder to do business there), be more discerning about the shows I work, and seek (that means promote, take work days off to solicit, etc.) a retail venue where I can wholesale my work.  I will also either commit to actually use my Etsy site or drop it.  I also Dare to lose a chunk of the physical changes derived during Grow, LOL.

Therein lies one of my continuing struggles.  My work is too high a price point to attract impulse buyers at typical craft shows and events that include crafts as entertainment.  And that's when I'm under pricing my work.  I know I do, considering the time put into designing and constructing pieces. Its a labor of love, certainly, but it shouldn't be a losing proposition, right?

I would sell more at art shows, but they have very expensive entry fees.  Hmmm.  What to do...

Is it possible to create lower priced work that is Also satisfying to design and make? Satisfying my internal creative monster is more important than sales, after all.  Presently, anyway.  So far I've been less than successful on that front.  Why oh why would anyone want to wear handmade jewelry that looks like its mass produced?  Mass produced items can be purchased more cheaply, too.  Hello, China.

Here's where I am So far:

1.  Looking for a way to get my Dare on without spending hundreds on a bunch of motivational or small business creation classes.  That includes blogging more often and utilizing social media.

2.  Wondering how to banish the hoarding monster.  Suggestions are welcome. (BTW, finishing my first 2015 destash event this weekend.  Buy, don't use, sell and hopefully don't lose coinage.)

3.  Started dieting today, 1/8/2015.  If you are what you eat I am sweet chocolate.  I absolutely refuse to be this size a year from now.  Gotta do it right so I don't lose heart and binge.  Or get sloppy and gain it all back, or more.  In other words, eat responsibly from.now.on.  Be an adult.  Yuck.

4.  Determine, no manage, to use my studio time smarter.  Going to buy a planner that could/should help with this and 1. above.  Now, to use it rather than fear it!

5.  Either (1) find my niche for creating lower priced jewelry that satisfies both the creative monster and impulse buyers' wallets, or (2) successfully banish the idea of (1).  One of the ways I'm working on this goal is to participate in the B'Sue Creative Group Line Challenge.  I was accepted today, just as I am, without one plea. More about that in my next post, which will be in a few days, yay!

God wants us to Dare, as reflected in below:

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.  Deuteronomy 31:8

Thanks for reading.  TTYS




No comments:

Post a Comment