Thursday, March 19, 2015

Part 3 of B'Sue Boutiques Build a Line Challenge


As promised, here is my third (and favorite) kitty.  Isn't he beautiful?  Rascal is his name, because he once was one. Actually he is again at 11 years old, but that's a story for another time.  My kids call him my second son.  Moving on...

Welcome to the third installment of the B'Sue Boutiques Build a Line Challenge.  Our hard working, wise, generous, unpaid, and patient teacher is Brenda Sue Lansdowne of B'Sue Boutiques.  I hope you've been following along as I and the other 55 or so members of the group learned the meaning, importance, and implications of building a cohesive jewelry line.  In addition to its primary purpose, the three month "class" has covered branding, the importance of keeping up with fashion and jewelry trends, knowing your target market, blogging, pricing, inventory control and other useful topics.  Brenda has taught us, and searched out/provided valuable information from other sources.  If I was wearing a hat I'd take it off; she's been great.

As for the other members of the group?  I wish we could meet in person; there would be a lot of hugging and laughter.  Everyone has been supportive and encouraging, sharing lessons learned, laughs, successes, failures, and life events.  I'll be sad when the group breaks up.  Good folks!

This last post about the challenge will focus on photos of my finished pieces.  I've got three necklaces, two bracelets, and four pairs of earrings.  I'll post a photo of an unfinished necklace, too.

This last trimester has been the easiest for me because of the aha hour I had in February, which is described in the last post.  This time I've been more kind to myself.  I haven't achieved as much as some in the group, mind you.  My pieces aren't priced yet, and I only finished nine (five were required).  One ambitious soul completed 30!  I learned so much during this challenge, and this is just a jumping off point.  We've all grown as designers and business women.  We'll continue to grow, too.

Each of my pieces has at least one item from B'Sue Boutiques.  I'm not an assemblage designer, but I tried to use as many components from bsueboutiques.com as possible.  I'm not great about labeling where items originate from, so I may not have used as much from B'Sue Boutiques as I think/intend. That's something we learned recently during the challenge; how important Inventory Control is to keeping accurate records, pricing, pieces appropriately, and maintaining sufficient supplies for future sales within a line.

You've seen the first necklace before.  Its long to be layered with one or more of the others.  I may add a few more dangles at the bottom, but I consider it complete.




Notice the elements that the first and second necklaces have in common, including the lovely sea foam green Czech glass beads.  The glass pearl extender is old if not vintage, and the metal has a natural patina that coordinates with the green.  How cool is that?


There are still a few common elements in the third necklace.  I could/should have made this one shorter, to layer above the second necklace.  I'm not sure what I think about this third one.  One good thing is that I used a pretty glass orphan bead (in the middle) that I've had at least four years.  This necklace will be the least expensive in the line.


More common elements are seen in the first bracelet.  I made the bead chain (as also seen in the second necklace), and wound old lace through an antique brass chain.


The second bracelet is more sweet and blingy than my usual design aesthetic, but still coordinates with the rest of the line.  A new item is the off center, sea foam green flowers.  I may make another, simple necklace using those flowers as the focal point.  Now for the earrings:





Any pair of earrings will coordinate with any necklace and/or bracelet.  Voila, a line!  The third pair has gorgeous, vintage glass beads with pink flowers.  That's the only other color I used.  In case you aren't familiar with my work; many of my pieces are monochromatic.  However, a successful jewelry line doesn't need to as as limited in color; as you'll see in the other class members' pieces.  


On the photo above, imagine as the shortest layer a simple necklace (with the sea foam green flowers for a pendant) which I described in concept, but haven't made.  Or each piece can be worn separately, of course.  Below is a shot of the necklace I didn't get completed.  Its a statement piece, but still at the bottom level of the pricing pyramid.  (Sorry its a rather dark photo.  Next I should take a photograph class, maybe.)


And, a shot of my adored son (home for spring break) and my "second son".  They kept me company as I wrote this post.  Doesn't Drew look uncomfortable?  I put the pillow behind his head, boy what a lot of good it did.  Meredith was here for two days this week, but I didn't take photos of her, grrrr. Bad Mommy.  But I digress...


Do yourself a favor; read the blog posts of the other talented members of this terrific group, who are listed below.  And shop the lovelies at B'Sue Boutiques online shop, bsueboutiques.com. High quality jewelry components featuring metal stampings in several finishes, made in America and Lots of free resources.  Thanks for reading!

Brenda Sue Lansdowne, B’sue Boutiques,
Jewelry Making Outside The Box
Marcia Tuzzolino
Aurora Designs
Cynthia Wainscott
Exotic Peru
Carole Carlson
Beadsophisticate
Lynn Stinten
Dragonzwench
Marica Zammit
Bead Lovelies
Catherine Shattuck
VRBrose
Michaele Collie
The Vintage Gem
Mary Craig
Jewelry Alchemy
Lee Koopman
Strega Jewelry
Erin Whitacre
Shattered Time Jewelry
Monica Casady
MJCasady Copper Works
Cindy Peterson
Howling Dog Jewelry
Leila Belcher
Leila Bee Designs
Gloria Allen
Wings and Beads
Pamela Anger
Novegatti Designs
Tammy Adams
Paisley Lizard
Lynda O’Mara
Lomara Creative
Elizabeth Hildreth
MadScientistsDesigns
Dana Hickey
Wind Dancer Studios
Janet Calardo
Jan Lea Designs
Lori Beekman
B. Accessorized
Jennifer Kroeger
Relic Charm
Amy Jorgensen
Hoarder’s Corner
Ingrid Anderson
Lilis Gems
Louise O’Shields
Desire Divine Jewels
Susan Killam
Killam Creative
Nike Bottalico
Nike Bottalico
Susan Bowerman
Woodside Wireworks
Jan Peters
Stylized Vintage
Mitzie Crider  (me!)
Needful Luxuries Occasional Blog
Gina Hockett
Freestyle Elements
Linda Anderson
From the Bead Board
Teresa Shurter
TreeZ’s Treasurs
Melissa Latimer
Smithed Up
Nadine Edris
Moondance Jewelry
Lori Meyer
Parisienne Girl
Jennifer Merrill Williams
Artists of All Stripes
Denise Lussier Poirier
Jewelry by Denise
Renee Allen
Small Stuff Design
Autumn Adams
Autumn Dawns
Elizabeth Owens
1996 Shabby Lane
Sandra Ballard
Mama San’s Mojo
Coral Law
ab:coraldesign

36 comments:

  1. I love that first long necklace! what is the focal on that? your palette I think will prove very successful -- the line just makes me feel calm.. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it is part of a buckle, not sure.

      Delete
    2. It's cool though! Kind of looks like an Eye of Ra, Nike would love that!

      Delete
  2. Mitzie thank you much for jumping in w us, this has been a great learning experience for many but I think me most all. I learned from every one of you. Thank you for being a great participant in class and for following through. You did an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the little pop of pink. Beautiful use of color throughout all your pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this collection. The pieces are all different but definitely part of the same line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely line! Everything goes well together. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yaaay I was able to comment on your blog this time! I LOVE your line Mitzie - my favorite colors and style. That bracelet with the old lace is to die for and also the matching earrings.

    All your pieces can go great together. You did a wonderful job.

    Bravo!

    Marica
    Bead Lovelies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mitzi I love your line. It is beautiful and cohesive. I love the color theme you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mitzi, the use of that jade green color is so beautiful and carries through the line really well. Love the work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks lovely together. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore everything you have completed so far, I cannot wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful pieces, Mitzi! I think you nailed this challenge. Love your blog, too! I hope we get to do this again together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mitzie--You're line is great. Very cohesive and simple yet striking. I love your idea of layering the different necklaces. Great way to upsell! I think these will do very well for you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mitzie, your line is very pretty with that sea foam green and the dark brass. The little touch of pink is perfect, too. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, beautiful line. Love the green with dark brass, I also layered love that look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I call the color teal? They are so elegant and the layering concept is great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a beautiful design you have going on here and I love the that jade green with the pearls and copper, well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Mitizi your designs are just beautiful! What color and creative wire wrapping for sure!!!!! You have a sure hit with all of your pieces as they are elegant and filled with vintage class! Thank you so, so much for your amazing energy in this adventure of creativity and inspiring for more!! ~Louise

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your designs. The colors go so well together. I really think the line is very cohesive. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mitzie .. Congratulation on your GREAT design line .. <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mitzi - I love your colors and that you are keeping individuality. The orphan bead on the necklace is fun! I love the necklace layering and the as-yet-unmade necklace idea is great!

    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your jewelry is wonderful, Mitzie, and you pulled a line together that is perfect! Although you usually do one-of-a-kinds, you've really got a cohesive collection there. It was nice to be in the class with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one of the easiest-to-wear color combinations ever. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mitzi, I wis we could get together in person too. I think there would be a lot of swapping stories and laughing! I really love your designs. I'm impressed with your layered pieces and well they all work together! Great color choices also. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hmmm, does your jewelry match Rascals' eye color or do his eyes match your beautiful jewelry? Whichever way it works, I love your mix of new and old. I am a huge fan of vintage Czech glass and I love the way you incorporate your color into your line. Keep going with it. Rascal can be your trademark!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your line is so peaceful and elegant and cohesive! I just love all your earrings! Great colors and use of old lace was so pretty. LIke the idea of layering the long necklaces--I never thought of that! Well done! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pretty kitty, and your line looks great! Green is my favorite color, so I'm particularly drawn to these. And I love Czech glass. The touches of lace add just the right finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very beautiful, thanks for sharing the designs. I liked the first necklace the most. I will follow your blog for more articles. Keep writing.

    Best Regards,
    Fesco
    Online Fashion Jewelry Shopping

    ReplyDelete
  28. Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!
    Tnpsc Coaching Centre

    ReplyDelete
  29. A convenient way of shopping jewelry can be done at home. Buy any types of jewelries from online jewelry boutique that offer wide range of jewelry designs to choose from. Learn more about jewelry for couples on surewaydm.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These earrings are not only durable and long lasting but also offer high quality jewelry at a reasonable price. You can buy the earrings of your choice from an online store and get them delivered at your door step.

    ReplyDelete